I probably have a phobia for natural birth. There are too many unknowns – how painful the contractions will be, when will I deliver, will I make it to the hospital in time, will I get my epidural in time, will I have to do emergency cesarean if I cannot push through with natural birth, etc. Hence, I selected to do epidural cesarean for both my first and second pregnancies.
The first delivery was exactly as what I had prepared for. I did harbour thoughts of trying for natural delivery for second pregnancy but decided against the additional stress in the end and confirmed with my gynae to do epidural cesarean for second delivery too.
The scheduled date for dragonlady’s delivery is 7 June, at 38 weeks. I went on hospital leave for almost a month because of the severe pain and aches I was experiencing and it did feel like dragonlady was lying lower and lower. Guess I did push myself a bit too much with all the outdoor activities we did with Thaddeus.
Many moms had commented that I looked like I may deliver soon, especially when the swelling subsides. I have to admit, I had a strong feeling that dragonlady may come early too. I even tried asking the husb if he could cancel his work trip that week. I never do such requests because I know how important his work is to him. A mother’s instinct, I guess?
28.May: The husb left for his work trip.
29.May 4ish, 5pm:
I started experiencing some very bad pain in my lower abdomen. The intensity of the pain was getting stronger but it didn’t felt like contractions to me. Then again, I’m not familiar with contractions because I didn’t feel any with Thaddeus before his delivery. But the sensations didn’t quite fit the descriptions I read. I thought it could just be the pain and pressure from the baby lying very low.
29.May 8ish pm:
The pain got worse as time passed. Was relieved to know that my parents got home early from their dinner appointment. I messaged my mum to take Thaddeus for the night to play safe, cos I was having tummy pain and cannot move as quickly. I hardly ever do that these days so she knew the pain must be quite bad. She told me to call my gynae but I thought no need since I would be seeing him the next day for the heartbeat check. So my mum asked me to lie down and rest.
29.May 9ish pm:
I was whatsapp-chatting the husband and telling him what a bad time this was for him to travel. I told him the pain is so bad my tears kept falling. He suggested for me to go hospital but I said no cos I was afraid I may have to go through natural labour on my own or do any checks alone!
Suddenly I felt discharge and a gush of fluids down under. I thought my waterbag broke! Messaged the husb: “I think I felt some discharge.” Moved gingerly on my side to minimize any more leakage on the bed. When I stood up, I got a fright of my life when I saw blood leaking out of me. Blood kept gushing out soon and left me stunned for a few seconds. It looked like a scene from those drama serials with streaks of blood flowing down my legs. Last message to my husb: “I’m bleeding alot. Shit”
I called my mum immediately, who came up with my dad. Both got a shock and kinda freaked out when they saw me standing in a pool of blood. My dad called my gynae and sounded shaky when he told him that I was bleeding profusely and in pain. Dr Beh instructed us to go to the hospital immediately. My mum called 995 but was told to call a non-emergency number 1777 which didn’t allow us to go to a private hospital either. Such a nightmare situation to face when we were in the midst of of an emergency.
My dad was concerned on how to move me from the third floor to the ground floor if we have to go to the hospital ourselves. My brothers were called to come home and help out immediately. To be safe, they thought it was better that I do not walk down the stairs. Thankfully, we got hold of a private ambulance to send me to the hospital in the end. Although we still had to wait about 20 minutes for it to arrive!
My tummy was hurting like mad and I was still leaking blood while we waited for the ambulance. I kept thinking, “Please keep the baby safe. We have come so far in this pregnancy. I can’t lose her now.”
Along the way, the paramedic kept telling me not to push. I was like, “NO, I’M NOT GOING TO PUSH!” Seeing how much pain I was in, my mum asked them to turn on the siren so that we can get to the hospital sooner. (Yes, they thought of doing that only after my mum requested!)
29.May 10 pm:
I was sent to the delivery suite where my gynae was already waiting for an evaluation of the situation. Can’t describe how glad and relieved I was to see Dr Beh who had rushed to the hospital right after getting our call.
Apparently, I was already in labour at this time. Can’t believe how clueless I am! Dr Beh suggested that I go for cesarean under GA, which I thought was the best option especially since the husb was not with me.
After signing the papers, I was sent to the operating theatre. The anesthetist came, introduced himself and told me what he was going to administer. I was told to inhale as they put a mask to my face. I think it took less than 5 seconds to knock me out.
29.May 11ish pm:
I gradually regained consciousness as I felt myself being wheeled to the ward and people talking around me. I felt my tummy and it was almost flat – “Where’s my baby?”
My parents were waiting for me in the ward and updated that the dragonlady was safely delivered. However, her hands and feet were rather cold so they placed her in a warmer. Thankfully, my mum took some photos of the dragonlady to show me when she went to check the baby with the nurse.
|our latest addition to our family -Teanne Tay|
Because I was still groggy from the GA and the baby needed the warmer, I didn’t get to see and carry her until the next day.